This post probably contains affiliate links, please check the disclosure.
I can’t get enough of small apartments and all the ways they can be arranged and decorated. It is such a passion of mine and whenever I see a small apartment picture or spot somewhere mentioning small apartments I can’t help but stop and check it out. I have joined various groups talking about small apartments and have never been bored checking out how someone has arranged his/hers small place.
I do live in a very small apartment but I think that even if I had a bigger one it wouldn’t feel as sweet and comfortable and cozy as mine does. I really can’t explain why I feel like that, but I have also heard that even architectures enjoy more designing a small space than a big one. Maybe it is because you really have to plan carefully how to arrange things in small apartments, how to avoid clutter and each item has gone through at least 3 thoughts where to place it. Maybe you become more attached to the apartment itself this way. Since I enjoy so much small apartments I also love finding different ways to decorate and design a small living space during the holidays.
One of the best things about owning a small apartment is that you really cut on expenses. For less money you get a great decorated place. Another great thing is that you can decorate it in no time. I don’t know which one a favor more! Having a home that I can quickly clean and arrange suits best my lifestyle.
#1 – Get A Small Tabletop Christmas Tree
They look SO cute, they are inexpensive, easy to carry, don’t take too much space and can be decorated in half an hour. Simply perfect for small apartments. They will really create a Christmas atmosphere in your home. Because they are small they represent a very pretty and a very charming Christmas decor. And they also come in various small sizes: some are even so small that they can fit on a shelf! Truly lovely decoration for any small apartment.
I have mine placed in the kitchen area (not that I have a separate kitchen, it is all one continuous space), on my helping table with drawers. I like silver and blue Christmas ornaments – nothing red and gold which are the traditional Christmas tree colors. I also like that I don’t have to hang a lot of those hanging balls – just the right amount for me. This is my second year with this decoration so maybe next year I will try some red and gold :).
And I also prefer artificial trees – if you can’t take care of the tree after Christmas I feel that it is really sad to use something living for decor and then just throw it away.
Here are some great examples of tabletop Christmas trees – for inspiration:
#2 – Use Hanging Decorations And Ornaments
Hanging things is one of the best ideas for decorating and arranging a small apartment. Since the space is limited and sometimes every inch counts (I have felt this best when trying to measure and squeeze kitchen elements), you can always use the vertical space for all kinds of purposes in small spaces. If you use it properly you will be amazed how much can be accomplished this way. You will get the right holiday atmosphere and you can still use the space for normal, everyday activities without bumping and stumbling on Christmas stuff. Here are some ideas for using hanging decorations:
- Use garlands – for a small space even 2 or 3 garlands can create miracles. There are some really rich looking ones and you can place these around table’s edges, you can hang them over a mirror or come up with a nice wall decoration. Garlands make really great Christmas decor and you simply can’t go wrong with them.
- Hang Christmas decorations from the ceiling – you can buy them or if you have the time you can make them yourself. Use hanging balls, hanging snowflakes – to create the illusion of falling snow, create inverted Christmas trees for top ceiling corners, hang all kinds of ornaments on your walls. There are endless possibilities for hanging decorations in your apartment to create a great Christmas look.
- Hang some Christmas posters – this will make a huge difference in your room.
- Use Christmas lights and hang them high on the walls – just below ceiling. This will make an illusion of a bigger space since they will catch the eye and create an illusion of having more space – everyone will notice horizontal arrangements and on top of them another set of vertical decorations. And you will get a really cheerful and fun Christmas decoration.
- Christmas stockings are also a good idea, hang them around the home and you’ll get a true Christmas atmosphere
#3 – Use small decorative items
There are plenty of small decorative items in the shops – usually pretty cheap too. Check these great ideas:
- You can get a rich looking Christmas table cloth, it won’ take any pace but will add to the Christmas spirit a lot.
- Christmas pillows are also another great idea, they come in various sizes so you can choose what is most appropriate for your home.
- Christmas mugs and plates are another great Christmas decoration idea.
- Christmas ribbons are really no space takers at all so you can use them heavily
- Create small gift boxes with bows for display
- How about decorative jars? Now this is a very useful advice! Simple, transparent jars filled with various things create awesome Christmas decor. Very often you can do it yourself – this is a very good idea even for those that don’t feel like very creative persons.
- Use candles – they really add to the whole Christmas atmosphere. The only problem here is that you may find hard to decide which ones to buy as they come in so many wonderful shapes and cents. Really hard to decide :).
- Don’t forget Christmas figures and dolls! Again you can hang them or place them on a bookshelf, they are easy to find place for but make a great Christmas display. Kids will love them too.
Here is a nice video that I found online with some tips on how to decorate a small apartment for Christmas ( I like it because it is a realistic Christmas decor, not some fancy designer decor that will leave you wondering how to achieve the same look):