This post probably contains affiliate links, please check the disclosure.
Many of us do not want to be alone in the apartment. Many of us, even when living with a partner, want to have a loving pet, extra love always feels good. After a stressful day, one of the best ways to relax is to cuddle a furry friend or just enjoy the swimming of the aquarium fish, which is proven to calm down. Treating yourself with pet therapy is one of the best relaxing therapies a man can get and is really enjoyable!
Pets can make great friends, can make you laugh, can bring a lot of fun in your life, brighten you up when having a bad day. Just their presence can mean a lot in some tough moments. A lot of people decide to take a pet in their homes and enrich their life with all the love and fun that a pet can give. Researches have also proven that living with animals does provide some health benefits. Here are some of them:
- Excellent way to get extra love
From medical point of view all the enjoyable activities that a pet owner does with his animal raise up the levels of serotonin and dopamine which are nerve transmitters that bring happiness, feeling of pleasure and calmness. What a healthy way to feel happy without drinks or drugs!
Cuddling or playing with an animal reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, blows away depression, and in general sense calms down the whole organism. Since stress is known to be one of the greatest triggers for various diseases then it is very clear how much your pet can contribute to your health. Animals love you exactly the way that you are and this is precious food for the soul.
- Improve social life – dogs help in social interaction
Dogs are very spontaneous and that is why around them people feel more free and they give a great reason to start a communication. This is especially good for shy persons. After the initial conversation it is easier to transfer to another subject and for soon this conversation to grow into a real social bond. Dogs ease the connection between people and are real ice breakers in this area. They are considered a neutral topic to start a conversation, nobody gets offended and even more – pet owners are usually glad to talk about their pets. Spotting a person walking a dog is like one check mark done – you are clear right away about one thing the other side likes. There are many sayings about dog owners and what it reveals about their character – a dog lover is almost always a kind person.
- Strengthen the immune system
The conducted studies on children growing up in homes where pets are kept have shown that they have a stronger immune system and are more resistant to certain diseases like: allergies, asthma and eczema. Contrary to the belief that these children will get sick easier or have pet allergies quite the opposite has proven to be true: these children grow up to be healthier when surrounded with animals. Children that have greater exposure to dirt and allergens will develop a stronger immune system which is something we all want for our children and ourselves!
- Benefits for the heart
Animals have also shown to be very good for the heart. Pet owners who have had heart attacks survive longer than non pet owners. Pet also have influence on reducing the causes for heart disease, male pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels than non owners.
So, after the decision to definitely get a pet, to find a pet that best suits your apartment and of course your life style, below are listed the best pets for small apartments:
Fish are simple and the lowest maintenance pet which can be kept in a small apartment.
- Extra easy cleaning: once or twice a week you have to change the tank water – for small to medium sized aquarium tanks. The only problem may be controlling temperature and water balance, but that is not too hard to solve. This is specially significant for people that don’t have too much time to clean (or for lazy people 🙂 ).
- Require very little money for food so this makes them perfect for people on limited budget that would still like to have some animal around.
- Neighbors will love them, they don’t make any noise so you can still keep your good neighbourhood relationship. This may also be significant when living in rented spaces.
- Don’t wake you up in the middle of the night, don’t make mess around, don’t require much attention which is perfect for busy people who want to relax in their own time
- Beautiful to watch, simply transfer you to another world and ease your problems
- Watching fish in an aquarium reduce anxiety, reduce muscle tension and pulse rate. It is good therapy if you have insomnia or lead stressful life. They provide great relaxation, have calming effect and create a feeling of serenity. Studies have proven that the effects of gazing at aquarium fish are similar to those of transcendental meditation.
- The aquarium tanks satisfy the sense of aesthetics as they look really beautiful and are great decoration for any room. The bubbling water and the plants are pleasant to watch and create a soothing stimuli, specially recommended for people who love water and being around water.
- In feng shui, moving water is considered beneficial in balancing chi, and a aquarium in the right location in the space increases wealth and luck.
Fish do not provide the comfort of a contact and real interaction with fish is limited. They are more passive pets present to provide you beautiful view and create a relaxing atmosphere in your home.
There are many types of fish and you can really choose your match in color and looks. The only thing you have to watch is not to mix fish that can not live together and get aggressive towards each other, like two males from some species and similar.
4. Small dog
6. Guinea pig or rat
7. Reptile like lizard
And if possible please ADOPT A PET. There are no ugly dogs or cats as each of them is an angel that will give you the most unselfish love.